Hogan Outworks Brunson on CBS Sports Network

Hogan Outworks Brunson on CBS Sports Network Night of Boxing

Dennis Hogan - Jesse Kelley

Photos by Jesse Kelley

Australia via Kildare, Ireland’s WBA #12- and IBF #11-rated “Hurricane” Dennis Hogan (21-0-1, 7 KOs) cruised to an entertaining and workmanlike 10-round decision over Philadelphia’s Tyrone “Young Gun” Brunson (22-5-1, 21 KOs) in the main event of Friday’s “Championship Boxing on CBS Sports Network” at the Grand Casino Hinckley in Hinckley, Minnesota.

Fighting in front of an appreciative sold-out crowd, Hogan outworked the careful Brunson in the majority of rounds to win by scores of 96-94, 98-92 and 97-93 and in the process, picked up the World Boxing Association’s NABA-US Super Welterweight Championship.

Hogan closed the show well and seemed to hurt Brunson with a series of clubbing shots. But Brunson was able to survive the onslaught.

Brunson, who seems to have morphed into a counter puncher since his days as the King of the KO 1 earlier in his career, had a good round eight and seemed to hurt Hogan with a right. He kept it interesting throughout by catching Hogan coming in with right hands.

Presented by Greg Cohen Promotions in association with Adam Wilcock’s Fight Card Promotions and produced by David Schuster’s Winner Take All Productions “Championship Boxing on CBS Sports Network” was the debut CBS-televised effort from the promotional team.

Several thudding knockouts punctuated the rest of the night’s action.

In the night’s co-main event, lightweight slugger Ismael Barroso made quick work of Memphis, Tennessee veteran Ira Terry, knocking him out inside of a round.

The southpaw Barroso, of El Tigre, Venezuela, moved his record to 18-0-2, 17 KOs by flattening Terry (now 26-14, 16 KOs) with a devastating left hand. Barroso’s reputation seems to grow with every frightening performance. Terry tried moving to his left and being elusive, but it only took one shot from Barroso’s cement fists. Referee Mark Nelson began a count when Terry went down, but quickly waved it off at 2:49.

In the televised opener, Saint Paul, Minnesota, middleweight prospect Rob “Bravo” Brant (15-0, 9 KOs)made surprisingly easy work of Miami via Colombia’s Dionisio Miranda (22-11-2, 19 KOs), dropping him for the full count at 2:40 of round two.

Brant showed superior quickness while landing his rangy shots form outside. A right hand started the trouble for the normally durable Miranda. The follow-up volley forced Miranda down and he elected, probably wisely, not to rise. The crowd-favorite Brant remains undefeated and now has a KO win over a quality mid-level opponent on his resume.

In what turned out to be a televised swing bout, American heavyweight prospect Jarrell “Big Baby” Miller, of Brooklyn, New York, moved his impressive record to 12-0-1, 10 KOs by knocking out Nairobi, Kenya’s Raymond “King Kong” Ochieng (26-19-3, 21 KOs) at 1:40 of the very first round.

Miller placed his heavy, accurate shots inside the wild swings of the game Ochieng and caught him with a strong combination against the ropes. Ochieng went down and referee Gary Miezwa waved it off without counting, probably prematurely.

Nevertheless, the charismatic Miller looked like a solid prospect taking out a useful veteran in Ochieng, who had gone 10 rounds with Alexander Petkovic in his last fight and handed 36-1 David Rodriguez a TKO 1 loss last July.

San Antonio, Texas, super bantamweight Adam “Mantequilla” Lopez (11-0, 6 KOs) furthered his reputation as an up-and-coming prospect by levelling Saint Paul, Minnesota’s Philip Adyaka (4-5, 2 KOs) with a monstrous left hook at 58 seconds of round two. 24-year-old Lopez was too big and too powerful for the smaller Adyaka. Lopez impressed, showing off his world-class weaponry while banging to the head and body, especially with the left hook. Adyaka bravely tried to rise, but stumbled back into the ropes and the fight was waved off.

In a six-round heavyweight match-up, fan favorite Joey “Minnesota Ice” Abell (30-8, 29 KOs) of nearby Coon Rapids, Minnesota, started his comeback by stopping journeyman Travis “Iron Man” Fulton (22-39-1, 21 KOs) of Cedar Falls, Iowa in three rounds. Out of the ring for more than a year, the southpaw Abell finally shook off the rust and got through with a volley of punches against the ropes, which badly stunned Fulton. The came at 34 seconds with Fulton dazed but still standing. I’m starting over. I want to get a couple wins and hopefully get a big fight here,” said Abell, post-fight. Unfortunately, Abell slipped awkwardly in the first round and reportedly suffered a serious ankle injury.

In a four-round, all-Minneapolis super heavyweight showdown to open the night, 316-lb Van “The Man” Goodman, now 4-5-2, 4 KOs, picked up a good win over 299-lb Brett Murphy, now 1-1, 1 KO via TKO 2. Murphy was down in round one and twice more in round two. A tidy left uppercut was the finishing shot. The time of the stoppage was 1:38.

To Top